David H. Murdock Core Laboratory Building
North Carolina Research Campus – Kannapolis, North Carolina
The David H. Murdock Laboratory Building is the centerpiece of the North Carolina Research Campus. Initiated in 2004, the NC Research Campus project was a public-private partnership inclusive of David H. Murdock, owner of Castle & Cooke, Inc. and Dole Food Co, Inc., The University of North Carolina System, the North Carolina Community College System, the City of Kannapolis, and other private investors.
This 311,000 SF research facility that houses the David H. Murdock Research Institute contains lab space, offices, lecture halls, support space and showcases an 80,000 SF lab containing a strategic array of state-of-the-art scientific equipment. This lab houses one of the most advanced collections of research equipment in the world, including microscopy, cyclotrons, and a 950 MHz NMR spectroscopy that offers views of organisms at the protein level and is the largest of its kind.
McCracken & Lopez, P.A. provided the MEP/FP engineering for several other projects on campus, including:
• NCSU Plants for Human Health Institute (100,000 SF)
• UNC Chapel Hill, Nutrition Research Institute (125,000 SF)
• Central Utility Plant (24,000 SF)
• Underground Site Hot/Chilled Water Distribution Systems
• Kannapolis City Hall and Police Headquarters (110,000 SF)
• DataChambers, LLC, New Data Center (50,000 SF)