Academy of the Fine Arts Theatre Restoration
In 2014, McCracken & Lopez, P.A. was retained to provide a thorough investigation and assessment of the existing mechanical systems in this historical music theatre. In 2016, the academy approved the same A/E design team to begin design efforts for a theatre renovation of 43,793 SF and a 21,478 SF addition that will deliver a new 65,271 SF facility in 2018.
History of the Academy of Music Theatre
The Academy of Music Theatre first opened in 1905 and quickly established a reputation as a top venue for nationally acclaimed performers.
In the early 1930s the Theatre became the premier venue for sound motion pictures, but urban decline and growing preferences nationwide for television caused the Theatre to close in 1958. When demolition seemed imminent a decade later, a group of historic minded citizens saved the Theatre and made a number of needed improvements. Several subsequent efforts to restore the Theatre over the next 40 years were successful in preserving the structure but were unable to accomplish a full renovation.
In 2003 the nonprofit Academy of Music Theatre, Inc., which owned the Theatre merged with the Lynchburg Fine Arts Center to form the organization now named the Academy Center of the Arts.
Today the Academy Center of the Arts, anchored by the historic Academy of Music Theatre, is greater Lynchburg’s multi-facility center for arts, culture and community building and occupies 1.25 blocks on Main Street in downtown Lynchburg